God of War Ragnarök Transcript

Dark Souls Transcript

OPENING

[We see a forest shrouded in dense white mist.]

Narrator: In the Age of Ancients the world was unformed, shrouded by fog. A land of gray crags, archtrees and everlasting dragons.

[In the depths of the forest sits a huge majestic black dragon.]

Narrator: But then there was Fire. And with Fire, came Disparity.

[The camera flies into the hollow of a giant tree and plunges into the depths of the underground world, where flames are burning everywhere.]

Narrator: Heat and cold, life and death, and of course… Light and Dark.

[In this hellish world we see several naked and skinny creatures, resembling people.]

Narrator: Then from the dark, They came, and found the Souls of Lords within the flame.

[The camera shows a gigantic skeleton covered with many bones and skulls. He holds a small flame in his hand.]

Narrator: Nito, the first of the dead,

[Then we see a woman covered with a spider web and holding a flame in her hands. There are several people standing next to her in a circle.]

Narrator: the Witch of Izalith and her Daughters of Chaos,

[And finally we see an old king with a sword of fire in his hands. Behind his back there are legions of knights.]

Narrator: Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights,

[However... there is someone else. I almost forgot to mention him. There is another Lord who has not changed in any way, but also holds the flame in his hands.]

Narrator: and the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten.

[And so the war began. Some knight, standing with his back to the camera, takes out a sword from its sheath. He opposes a dragon, which is very similar to the Dragon God from Demon's Souls. The Lords are attacking the dragons.]

Narrator: With the Strength of Lords, they challenged the Dragons. Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales. The Witches weaved great firestorms. Nito unleashed a miasma of death and disease. And Seath the Scaleless betrayed his own, and the Dragons were no more.

[Some time passes. The camera descends from the sky, overlooking a huge magnificent city, closed by the city walls in a ring.]

Narrator: Thus began the Age of Fire. But soon the flames will fade and only Dark will remain. Even now there are only embers, and man sees not light, but only endless nights. And amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed Darksign.

[We plunge into the lovers of the underground prison. Everywhere there are skinny undead, dressed in rags.]

Narrator: Yes, indeed. The Darksign brands the Undead. And in this land, the Undead are corralled and led to the north, where they are locked away, to await the end of the world... This is your fate.

[The camera flies into the cell of the protagonist, a scrawny but quite handsome autogenerated undead man with a chic black hair. He looks up and notices a knight throwing a corpse with an item into his cell. This item is the key to the cell. The protagonist goes free and starts his journey.]

NORTHERN UNDEAD ASYLUM

[You step out of your dungeon and walk along a long dark corridor, meeting only non-aggressive undead in your way. When you walk out into the courtyard, you find a lit fire where you can rest and regain your strength. Next to the fire, there is a massive shabby wooden door. You open it with effort and enter a small hall. Suddenly, from a small platform at the top a huge and terrible monster with a club in his hands jumps to you. Armed only with a wreck of the sword you can not do anything to the monster, so you run away in fear in the next corridor. The iron door behind your back slams shut. You continue exploring the dark corridors until you find a way to climb to the second floor of the hall where you met the monster. When you dodge a multiton iron ball, you find that it broke through the wall. Going inside you meet the same knight who helped you in the beginning of the game, but now the knight is on the verge of death. He sits on the floor and almost does not move.]

OSCAR, KNIGHT OF ASTORA

Oscar, Knight of Astora: ...Oh, you... You're no Hollow, eh? Thank goodness... I'm done for, I'm afraid... I'll die soon, then lose my sanity... I wish to ask something of you... You and I, we're both Undead... Hear me out, will you?

[You agree to hear the dying knight.]

Oscar, Knight of Astora: ...Regrettably, I have failed in my mission... But perhaps you can keep the torch lit... There is an old saying in my family... Thou who art Undead, art chosen... In thine exodus from the Undead Asylum, maketh pilgrimage to the land of Ancient Lords... When thou ringeth the Bell of Awakening, the fate of the Undead thou shalt know... Well, now you know... And I can die with hope in my heart... Oh, one more thing... Here, take this... An Estus Flask, an Undead favourite... Oh, and this…

[He hands you a strange thick glass bottle with a bright orange liquid and a key.]

Oscar, Knight of Astora: ...Now I must bid farewell... I would hate to harm you after death... So, go now... And thank you…

[Having found everything you need to fight the Asylum Demon, you pass through the thick white fog on the second floor of the hall and jump right on the monster's head, causing a serious wound. Having defeated the monster, you get a key and leave the asylum. You go to the top of the hill, where a huge raven descends on you, fiercely shouting. It grabs you and takes you to the skies.]

Narrator: Only, in the ancient legends it is stated, that one day an undead shall be chosen to leave the undead asylum, in pilgrimage, to the land of ancient lords, Lordran.

[The Raven drops you on a small plaque at the cliff. Apparently, once there were many buildings, but now they are destroyed. In the center of the site is a bonfire, and a moody man in a ring-armour is sitting not far away from it.]

FIRELINK SHRINE

CRESTFALLEN WARRIOR

Crestfallen Warrior: Well, what do we have here? You must be a new arrival. Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first. But there's no salvation here. You'd have done better to rot in the Undead Asylum... But, too late now. Well, since you're here... Let me help you out. There are actually two Bells of Awakening. One's up above, in the Undead Church. The other is far, far below, in the ruins at the base of Blighttown. Ring them both, and something happens... Brilliant, right? Not much to go on, but I have a feeling that won't stop you. So, off you go. It is why you came, isn't it? To this accursed land of the Undead? Hah hah hah hah…

[The strange knight taunts you, but he seems to know a lot more about the world around him than you do. You muster your will and decide to hear what else he has to tell you.]

Crestfallen Warrior: Hm? What, you want to hear more? Oh, that's all we need. Another inquisitive soul. Well, listen carefully, then... One of the bells is up above in the Undead Church, but the lift is broken. You'll have to climb the stairs up the ruins, and access the Undead Burg through the waterway. The other bell is back down below the Undead Burg, within the plague-infested Blighttown. But I'd die again before I step foot in that cesspool! Hah hah hah hah!

[Searching the ruins, you find a man of dense build with a monk's haircut. The man is dressed in armor.]

PETRUS OF THOROLUND

Petrus of Thorolund: Hello there. I believe we are not acquainted? I am Petrus of Thorolund. Have you business with us? ...If not, I'd prefer to keep a distance, if possible.

[Such a response from this warrior monk stirs your interest - who is he?]

Petrus of Thorolund: Hello there. I realize that I have requested that we retain our distance, but I also want you to know that it is not meant in ill-will. Here, take this. As a token of peace. No, go ahead. It's for you.

[Petrus give you a Copper Coin.]

Petrus of Thorolund: Oh, my... you again? Oh, I know. How about this... I have to await my companions here anyway, so, what if I were to teach you some miracles? Would that please you?

[You agree to his unanticipated generous offer.]

Petrus of Thorolund: Very well. Then first, a Covenant with the Gods.

[You join the covenant and continue to explore your surroundings. Having searched the surrounding area and collected all useful items, you climb a steep stone staircase to the fortress, to the point full of dead soldiers with swords and spears and crossbows. Saving your life or whatever you have, you find a secret staircase behind the boxes. When you go down it you find a dead trader, the only one who is not in a hurry to kill you.]

UNDEAD BURG

UNDEAD MALE MERCHANT

Undead Male Merchant: Well, now... You seem to have your wits about you, hmm? Then you are a welcome customer! I trade for souls. Everything's for sale! Nee hee hee hee hee!

[You look around at the few items the merchant offers.]

Undead Male Merchant: It's actually quite nice here, you know? The Hollows don't care for a skinny old twig like me. I've got Yulia… And nobody pelts me with stones anymore. You're Undead, you know how it is. I was treated worse back at home. Eh? My wares? Of course they're stolen; what did you think? And when you lose your head, I'll sell it all again! Nee hee hee hee hee! Things are getting treacherous in these parts. A horrible goat demon has moved in below. And up above, there's that humongous drake, and a bull demon too. If you stick around this place, it might end up being your grave! Nee hee hee hee hee! Ah, this one? Ain't she lovely? Her name is Yulia. She's plumb in love with me. You'd never leave my side, now would you, Yulia? Ah, you can forget it. I'm all that she needs. Careful, she'll bite your little fingers off! Be kind, Yulia, be kind! Nee hee hee hee hee! Eh? I'm not here to chit-chat. We talk business, or we talk nothing at all. Now, don't squander your time chatting! You need to look over my wares!

[Breaking through the hordes of the undead, and facing the black knight of King Gwyn, you climb to the top of the tower, which houses a bridge to another part of the fortress. To get to the bridge, you have to go through a thick white mist. When you pass half of the bridge, a bull-demon with a huge baton jumps to you from the tower at the other end. The battlefield is very limited and you have to clearly calculate the time for evasion, but at the end you still manage to defeat the monster. When you move to the other side and go out to the wide area illuminated by the rays of the sun, you see a knight in an armor that resembles the armor of crusaders with a bucket-shaped helmet on his head.]

SOLAIRE OF ASTORA

Solaire of Astora: Ah, hello! You don't look Hollow, far from it! I am Solaire of Astora, an adherent of the Lord of Sunlight. Now that I am Undead, I have come to this great land, the birthplace of Lord Gwyn, to seek my very own sun! ...Do you find that strange? Well, you should! No need to hide your reaction. I get that look all the time! Hah hah hah!

[The man doesn't seem to you to be of sound mind. However, his positive attitude excites your interest.]

Solaire of Astora: Oh, ah-hah! So, I didn't scare you? I have a proposition, if you have a moment.

[You agree to listen to him.]

Solaire of Astora: The way I see it, our fates appear to be intertwined. In a land brimming with Hollows, could that really be mere chance? So, what do you say? Why not help one another on this lonely journey?

[You reply in the affirmative again.]

Solaire of Astora: This pleases me greatly! Well then, take this. We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land. The flow of time itself is convoluted; with heroes centuries old phasing in and out. The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure. There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact. But, use this, to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds, and engage in jolly co-operation! Of course, we are not the only ones engaged in this. But I am a warrior of the sun! Spot my summon signature easily by its brilliant aura. If you miss it, you must be blind! Hah hah hah!

UNDEAD PARISH

SIEGMEYER OF CATARINA

Siegmeyer of Catarina: Mmm... Hrmmmmm... Mmm… mmm... Mm! Oh-hoh! Forgive me. I was absorbed in thought. I am Siegmeyer of Catarina. Quite honestly, I have run flat up against a wall. Or, a gate, I should say. The thing just won't budge. No matter how long I wait. And, oh, have I waited! So, here I sit, in quite a pickle. Weighing my options, so to speak! Hah hah hah hah! Still closed... Still closed... Mmm…

ANDRE OF ASTORA

Andre of Astora: Well, you must be a new arrival. I'm Andre of Astora. If you require smithing, speak to me.

[The blacksmith seems good-natured and open to conversation. But first you examine his wares.]

Andre of Astora: Most weapons and armor are mighty sturdy indeed. But every hunk of metal has its breaking point. If you notice durability running low, it's time to repair. You can ask a blacksmith like meself, or do it on your own with a grindstone. The nice thing about weapons...they never betray you. So pay them a little respect, eh? There are two types of weapon reinforcing. There's reinforcement, and there's ascension. Reinforcement is simple. It strengthens the weapon and nothing more. A simple task for any blacksmith. Hell, you could even do it yourself with a smithbox. But ascension is a finer art. It alters a weapon properties. Ascension is the territory of we blacksmiths; a smithbox just won't do the trick. Start out with reinforcement. When that loses it's charm you can consider ascension. As you've noticed, this land is flush with the mad and wicked. You won't make it through the night without employing my services. Hah hah hah! You can forge armour just like you do weapons. Forging armour is even easier than forging weapons. Whether you forge armor or weapons first? Well that's up to you. But nobody wants to see you go Hollow. So, whatever you do, you'd better do it well. Hah hah hah! This is the old church. It was abandoned in favour of the church that you passed through. There are paths leading from here to two forbidden planes: Sen's Fortress, and Darkroot Garden. They attract all sorts of lunatics, no-one as cultured as yourself. It's fine to be Undead, but keep a level head, eh? Hah hah hah! Sen's Fortress is an old proving ground built by the ancient gods. It is the only route to the great Anor Londo. Of course, most fools can't even find their way into that fortified deathtrap. But they won't stop trying! Take that bumbling Sir Onion... Hah hah hah! I know little of the Darkroot Garden. Although, I've heard rumours of a divine blacksmith who resides there. Those who get stumped in the Catacombs seek him for divine weapons.

[If you bring Andre various ambers, he can use it and forge new types of weapons for you.]

GIVING LARGE EMBER: Ahh, why, that's a fine ember you have there. I could smith some mighty weapons with one of those. Why not lend it to me?

GIVING VERY LARGE EMBER: Well, I'll be! That's a brilliant ember you've got there! For all my years in the trade, that might be the finest! How's about... you leave that ember with me? I'm just an old smith. I'd give my left arm for a gem like that.

GIVING DIVINE EMBER: My, that's a rare ember you have there. I've seen one of those before... It's the ember of a divine blacksmith. Might you consider leaving that with me? I could produce divine weapons with a flame such as that.

GIVING LARGE DIVINE EMBER: Oh, my, what a brilliant ember you have there. I've only heard legends of such specimens... The embers used for the secret rites of divine blacksmiths... Perhaps you could lend it to me? I've long dreamed of forging divine weapons...

GIVING DARK EMBER: Hrm? Show me that ember of yours... Well, I've never heard of a black ember. Hmmm... How about leaving that ember with me? I find it strangely fascinating.

[After saying goodbye to the blacksmith you go down the stairs below and find... A huge demon with no face and no leg and a staff in his hands. The demon immediately attacks the stranger. Armed with a bow you hide behind a piece of the caved-in ceiling and take advantage of the giant's sluggishness to kill him with a few deft shots. When you win, you emerge into a gloomy, densely overgrown forest. The bushes here have gained self-awareness and are aiming hostile to strangers. After defeating them you find a massive stone door. Unfortunately for you the further way is closed, because the door requires a special item worth as much as 20,000 souls. After getting a little frustrated, you go back the way you came and come out to the church again. After defeating a knight with a huge shield at the entrance you go upstairs, from where a nasty priest in a cassock shoots magic at you. He proves cunning, however, and lets his flock - a dozen undead armed with broken swords - meet you in the narrow corridor. Despite their ridiculousness, together this army can easily kill you, so you act with dignity, killing the non-black men one by one, and then killing the priest himself. After walking a little further, you find a dungeon and a fish in gold armor in it. The knight appears to have a mind of his own and is obviously hiding something.]

KNIGHT LAUTREC OF CARIM

Lautrec of Carim: Oh? Still human, are you? Then I am in luck. Could you help me? As you can see I am stuck, without recourse. Please, I have duties to fulfill, and I will reward you handsomely. Well? I am certain you stand to benefit.

[Despite your doubts, you still decide to release him.]

Lautrec of Carim: Thank you, yes, sincerely. I am Knight Lautrec of Carim. I truly appreciate this, and I guarantee a reward, only later. Yes, very sorry, your reward will have to wait. I have just been freed. Allow me some time. I am free. Now I can get back to work... Keh heh heh heh…

[A little surprised by these words, you leave and go up to the roof of the church. Suddenly one of the stone gargoyles falls off the pedestal and flies toward you. You have to take an unequal fight with the monster... And it wouldn't be a problem if a few minutes later it wasn't joined by another gargoyle! The battle is getting very tense. You even manage to chop off the tail of one of them by dodging their blows. Your dexterity allows you to keep the upper hand. The gargoyles vanish into thin air. You go on and climb to the top of the bell tower. What if this is the bell Crestfallen Warrior was talking about? You ring the bell and the hum goes off all around you. When you come down from the bell tower, you see a strange man with his arms outstretched.]

OSWALD OF CARIM

Oswald of Carim: Greetings. I am Oswald of Carim, the pardoner. Thou art a friend. For thee, a warm welcome. Cometh thou to confess? Or to accuse? For indeed all sin is my domain.

[Apparently a strange man offers absolution for a small fee... However, you do not need such services.]

Oswald of Carim: Thou art welcome anytime. It is only human to commit a sin... Heh heh heh heh…

[You return to the Firelink Shrine to question the Crestfallen Warrior.]

FIRELINK SHRINE II

CRESTFALLEN WARRIOR

Crestfallen Warrior: Why, what a surprise. I didn't expect you to make it. ...Oh somebody rang the bell… Wait. Was it you? You never give up, do you? I don't know how you do it. Well, don't stop now. Only one more, but it's going to be suicide. Hah hah hah hah…

[Apparently your actions were correct. When you go down the ruined stairs below, you are surprised to find Lautrec.]

KNIGHT LAUTREC OF CARIM

Lautrec of Carim: Ahh, hello there. I have your reward. Please accept it. I am grateful to you for freeing me... Keh heh heh heh... Not enough for you? Well, let's not be greedy now... Keh heh heh heh…

[He rewards you with a Sunlight Medal.]

Lautrec of Carim: Have you heard of Trusty Patches? If ever a man has rubbed me up the wrong way, ugh! If he ever comes around again, I swear, I'll have his hide.

LOWER UNDEAD BURG

GRIGGS OF VINHEIM

[You return to the place where you met Solaire and open the forbidden door under the bridge. Down the stairs you enter the lower town. There are fires blazing everywhere, and zombie dogs and nimble, ruthless thieves are running through the streets, just waiting to throw their little knife at you. As you walk past one of the locked doors of a house, you hear a voice...]

Griggs of Vinheim: Somebody! Please, let me out of here! Somebody, anybody! Help me! Unlock the door! ...Damn... ...I'm finished... How did this ever happen…

[You find the key to the house and free the poor man.]

Griggs of Vinheim: Brilliant! You opened the door for me! Thank you; I am saved. I thought I might never escape. I am Griggs of Vinheim. A sorcerer of the school. I am much obliged for your assistance. Thanks to you, I may now resume my travels.

[You return to check on him after a few hours.]

Griggs of Vinheim: Oh, hello. I am fine. I will rest a while, then return to Firelink Shrine. I have my sorcery. And I will be more cautious next time. Besides, I have an important task at hand.

[As you continue to explore the city, you stumble upon a nook in which you are attacked by several dogs. When you quickly kill them, you are attacked by a huge demon with a head shaped like the skull of a goat. In his hands are two swords. He is fast and quite strong. After dodging several attacks, you climb the stairs on the left and stand on the ledge. When the demon is below you, you jump on it and kill it. As a reward for your victory, you get the key to the Depths. After walking the rest of the way you climb the wooden stairs with several archers. You emerge to the aqueduct leading to the Firelink Shrine and meet a merchant.]

UNDEAD FEMALE MERCHANT

Undead Female Merchant: Hmm, you still have your senses about you? Then why won't you buy some of my moss? I need your souls! Vee hee hee!

[Wanting to help a crazy old dead woman, you buy some plants that are great for healing poison.]

Undead Female Merchant: This is a wonderful place, don't you think? We have water, moss, moisture, these nice iron bars... I like it here, I really do. Nothing good ever happened to me in life. But now that I'm Undead, I've never been happier! Tell me honestly... You think I've gone to the other side, don't you? That I've cracked my head and gone Hollow... You do, don't you? I can see it in your eyes. You'd trust a patch of moss over me... Ah, go down along the side to reach the depths of the Undead Burg. Only unkempt crooks and liars to be found there. Hardly a place for a lady like myself! But who knows, maybe you'd fit right in? Vee hee hee hee hee!

DEPTHS

LAURENTIUS OF THE GREAT SWAMP

[After resting by the fire in the Firelink Shrine and regaining your strength, you descend into the grim Depths, which are sewers. Many dangerous creatures live there. Entering a kind of warehouse with many tall jugs you suddenly hear a voice...]

Laurentius of the Great Swamp: …You! …Yes, you! …Here, over here! … Please… …You must help me…

[A voice comes from a distant jug. You gently smash the jugs in the room and free him.]

Laurentius of the Great Swamp: …Th-thank you. I would have been her supper without you. Being eaten alive! I shudder to think… Thank you, thank you dearly. I am Laurentius, of the Great Swamp. I will not forget my debt to you.