God of War Ragnarök Transcript

God of War III Full Transcript


Platforms PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4
Release Date March 16th 2010 (Original) / July 15th 2015 (Remastered)
Genre Slasher
Developer SIE Santa Monica Studio
Publisher Sony Computer Entertainment
Walkthrough lzuniy
Series God of War (series)

Before you tackle this script, be sure to read: [God of War], [God of War II]

THE MEASURE OF A MAN IS WHAT HE DOES WITH POWER
–Plato


NARRATOR: Before the age of the twilight set upon the gods, a legend rose to claim his place among them. And even though Kratos sat on the throne as the new god of war, he was haunted by visions of his family, a family he himself murdered. But the hands of death could not defeat him. The sisters of fate could not control him. And on this day, the man, the legend, Kratos will have his revenge.
KRATOS: My vengeance ends now.

[Titans led by Kratos siege Olympus. Against this background, Zeus motivates the rest of the gods.]

ZEUS: My brothers. We were forged in victory. A victory that ended the great war and brought forth the reign of mount Olympus. Born from the depths of the underworld, rooted in the river of souls, our mountain emerged out of the chaos. As it grew, so too did the might of the Olympians. We created a world of peace, a world of prosperity. A world that lives in the shadow and safety of my mountain. A mountain that has come to be the absolute measure of strength and power. Now, on this day, that power is to be tested. The mortal, Kratos, seeks to destroy all that I have wrought. Brothers, put aside the petty grievances that have splintered us for so long. We will unite. We will stand together. And I will wipe out this plague! Olympus will prevail!

[The gods attack the titans.]

KRATOS: Zeus! Your son has returned. I bring the destruction of Olympus!

OLYMPUS

HELIOS: The titans will fail again!

[Poseidon grabs Gaia with his water horses.]

GAIA: Something has me! I cannot move, Kratos. Free me! Kratos! Help me! Hurry, Spartan!

[Kratos fights with Poseidon, making his way to the top of Olympus.]

POSEIDON: You challenge me, mortal? A god of Olympus?

KRATOS: A true warrior does not hide, Poseidon. Leave the sea and face me.

POSEIDON: You have disrespected the gods for the last time, Kratos.

GAIA: Jump to my hand!

POSEIDON: For the greatness of Olympus!

[Kratos manages to defeat the god of the seas.]

POSEIDON: Zeus should have kept you where you belong. No matter how many gods fall, there will always be another to stand against you.

KRATOS: They will fall as well.

POSEIDON: The death of Olympus means the death of us all.

KRATOS: Then prepare for your death, Poseidon.

[He mercilessly beats Poseidon up, pokes his eyes out and dumps the disfigured corpse into the sea. With his death, no one else controls the ocean and it overflows, flooding the whole world.]

GAIA: Kratos, the death of Zeus is within our reach! Climb to my hand!

[He rises to the very top and meets Zeus himself.]

KRATOS: What will you do, father? You can no longer hide behind the skirts of Athena.

ZEUS: Athena is dead because of the rage that consumes you, Kratos. What more will you destroy?

KRATOS: The hands of death could not defeat me. The sisters of fate could not hold me. And you will not see the end of this day. I will have my revenge!

ZEUS: Petulant child! I will tolerate your insolence no more!

[Zeus pulls out one of his lightning bolts and throws out both Kratos and Gaia.]

KRATOS: Gaia! I can hold on no longer!

GAIA: If I help you, we will both fall. Even now Zeus gains.

KRATOS: The destruction of Zeus is why you saved me from death.

GAIA: I saved you to serve the titans.

KRATOS: Do not deny me my revenge!

GAIA: Listen carefully, Kratos. You were a simple pawn, nothing more. Zeus is no longer your concern. This is our war. Not yours.

KRATOS: (falling) Gaia!

[He falls to the depths of the underworld.]

KRATOS: I have lived as a warrior. I have died as a god. Having suffered the ultimate sacrifice. I have been denied release. I… will defeat Olympus. I will have my revenge.

REALM OF HADES

[Kratos crosses the river Styx, struggling with restless souls floating in it.]

KRATOS: We are not finished Zeus. The gates of Hades have never held me.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: Death cannot hold those with purpose, Kratos.

KRATOS: Athena?

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: I have missed you, Spartan.

KRATOS: I… I don’t…

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: My sacrifice to save Zeus has brought me to a higher existence.

KRATOS: You still appear to be an Olympian.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: Appearances can be deceiving, Kratos.

KRATOS: So can the children of Olympus.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: Perhaps, but remember, my death came by your blade.

KRATOS: My blade was meant for Zeus. Be quick with your words.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: As we speak, the war for Olympus rages on and mankind suffers.

KRATOS: Let them suffer. The death of Zeus is all that matters.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: Zeus will not fall as easily as Ares. To destroy the king of the gods, you must seek the source of his strength. The flame of Olympus.

KRATOS: You once sacrificed yourself to save Zeus, and now you seek to destroy him? What has brought about this change?

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: I see truths where I did not before. Perhaps these will earn back your trust. These are the blades of exile. They will help guide you on your journey to the flame. Remember, as long as Zeus reigns, there is no hope for mankind. Destroy the flame, Kratos, and the very foundations of Olympus will crumble.

HADES: I knew you would be back, Spartan. Did you miss me?

PEIRITHOUS: I have suffered enough, Spartan. Hades. He sentenced me to this eternal torture. My prison of tinder. But now that you are here, you can free me! All I have left is my bow. Please, free me and it is yours.

[But Kratos, apparently, has other plans…]

PEIRITHOUS: What are you doing? Please! I cannot die this way! Please Spartan! Spare me! No, no. Stay away! No, help! Please!

[Kratos saddles a fire-breathing Cerberus and burns Peirithous alive and takes the bow. Next he faces three judges…]

JUDGE: By the gods of Olympus and order of Zeus. We are the three judges. Face your final judgement, mortal. King [[wikipedia:Aeacus|Aeacus]] has found you wanting. King [[wikipedia:Rhadamanthus|Rhadamanthus]] has found you worthy. It falls to me, king [[wikipedia:Minos|Minos]], to make the final decision. Your future is cloaked in shadow. The realm of the afterlife is not yet ready for you. Beyond that door waits your destiny.

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: Father?

KRATOS: Calliope?

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: Oh…

KRATOS: You are not my daughter.

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: No. But I know who you are.

KRATOS: You know of me?

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: They said you would come…

HADES: Playing with toys, Kratos?

KRATOS: Show yourself, Hades! Another one of your tricks?

HADES: As usual, Spartan, you are gravely mistaken.

KRATOS: Face me, coward.

HADES: So eager, Kratos. Relax. Soon enough we will have our time to play.

[Kratos finds a huge forge and a tortured giant next to the anvil.]

HEPHAESTUS: Leave me be. I tell you… I have paid the price.

KRATOS: Calm yourself, smith god.

HEPHAESTUS: Ghost of Sparta? It is you… Well, well, well… I thought Zeus would have killed you by now.

KRATOS: I thought you would have escaped this cavern by now.

HEPHAESTUS: Zeus may have imprisoned me here, but you are the reason I live in torment.

KRATOS: I did you no wrong, Hephaestus. I pursue only one Olympian.

HEPHAESTUS: Well, as long as it’s only one Olympian.

KRATOS: I seek the flame of Olympus. Do you know of it?

HEPHAESTUS: For what purpose, Spartan?

KRATOS: For the purpose I have chosen. Now tell me, do you know of the flame?

HEPHAESTUS: All true children of Olympus know of it we have all come to respect its power. But don’t be fooled by its enticing glow. Neither god nor man can touch its lethal flame.

KRATOS: I only need to find it.

HEPHAESTUS: If you can find your way out of the underworld, I am sure you can find your way to the flame of Olympus.

KRATOS: You have been truly helpful, Hephaestus.

[He leaves the forge.]

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: Kratos?

KRATOS: How do you know of me?

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: You’re the Ghost of Sparta. Everyone knows who you are. Everyone is afraid of you.

KRATOS: There are reasons for that.

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: I’m not afraid of you.

KRATOS: It’s good you’re not afraid, child. Fear is a heavy burden.

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: I’m not a child, Kratos.

KRATOS: It does not matter what you are, my concerns lay elsewhere.

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: Kratos, please. I need you to free me.

KRATOS: The quest for freedom is also a heavy burden. I cannot help you.

[He leaves and finds a shrine with a huge statue of Hades in the center.]

HADES: Welcome, Spartan. Come in. Make yourself at home. This time, you won’t be leaving. Now it falls to me to collect payment for the pain you have wrought. Kratos. So glad you could carve out some time for us. You know we need it. I sense some bad blood between us, Kratos. Oh, all the memories. They’re overwhelming. Really, let’s see… How many sins have you committed against me? Oh, that’s right. You murdered my niece, Athena. And what else. What else? Ah, and you killed my brother, Poseidon. And I have not forgotten that it was you who butchered my beautiful queen! I will see you suffer as I have suffered. Your soul is mine.

[Hades emerges from the shadows and attacks Kratos. Brutal fight begins.]

HADES: I am stronger than you’ll ever be! I live for pain. Your pain is my pleasure. Your death will only be the beginning of your suffering. Your soul will only make me stronger. I enjoy listening to your pain. The river Styx awaits!

[Kratos severely beats Hades and takes away his chains with hooks, but the god of the dead does not even think to give up.]

HADES: Suffer!

[Kratos uses the hooks of Hades and deprives the god of the dead of his own soul. With his death, there is no one to watch over the dead and the souls begin to leave the palaces of the underworld. Kratos returns to the forge.]

HEPHAESTUS: Kratos? Can it be? Does this mean lord Hades rules no longer?

KRATOS: The goo of the underworld is dead.

HEPHAESTUS: Dead? Hades deserved to suffer. Though I thought his death impossible.

KRATOS: Olympians overestimate themselves.

HEPHAESTUS: Interesting. I will keep that in mind, Spartan. You need the soul of a god to use the Hyperion gate, Kratos. And that one has not been used for centuries. I’m sure it is broken. Otherwise I would have seen my beautiful… You know, Kratos. I wasn’t always like this. A monster. I was once the most prized craftsman in all of Olympus. Zeus rewarded me with my marriage the beautiful Aphrodite. My mother, Hera, bragged of my talent. But the day you killed Ares was the day my world was torn from me. That day Zeus became fiend you now know. Worst of all, he took my beloved daughter, Pandora. My reason for living. I spend my time here, trying to recreate her. I fail. Again and again. She still lives, Spartan. I can feel it. You… you Kratos, you can bring her back to me.

KRATOS: Your child is not my concern.

HEPHAESTUS: But surely you can understand. You were once a father too.

[Without answering Kratos leaves the forge. The words of Hephaestus clearly stirred something in the soul of the mighty Spartan.]

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: Remember your purpose, Kratos. The twilight is upon us. His death is our only hope.

KRATOS: Understand this, Athena. Zeus will die.

[Kratos is entered in the portal and returns to the world of the living. Helios soars in the sky in his chariot of fire.]

THE CITY OF OLYMPIA

HELIOS: Forward!

[Soon he finds Gaia. She is barely alive.]

GAIA: You live, Spartan? The blood of Cronos served you well. Quickly, you must help me!

KRATOS: Help you?

GAIA: Yes, child. Quickly! I suffer greatly. I tried to return to battle but…

KRATOS: Without me.

GAIA: You know I had no choice. You must help me.

[Kratos cuts through the roots with which Gaia holds her mighty body.]

GAIA: Kratos. Do I mean nothing to you?

KRATOS: You were a means to the end, Gaia. Nothing more.

GAIA: But I must face Zeus. The titans must take down Olympus.

KRATOS: No! This is my war. Not yours.

[He pierces Gaia with the sword of Olympus and throws her down. Going further, he meets Helios, fighting with one of the titans.]

HELIOS: Behold the glory of Helios! Feel the wrath of the sun!

[Kratos uses a ballista and knocks down Helios from the sky.]

HELIOS: Forward! Help me! My home! Everything I have. Destroyed! Kratos I have not forgotten the debt I owe you. Save me now as you once saved me from Atlas. And I promise to repay you in full.

KRATOS: If you wish to repay me, tell me where I can find the Flame of Olympus!

HELIOS: The flame? You will never defeat Zeus. Spartan you will forfeit your life in trying.

KRATOS: Of all the lives you should worry about, Helios, mine is not one of them.

HELIOS: Feel the power of the sun! Wait! Wait! I can tell you that to destroy Zeus you must step into the flame to receive its power.

KRATOS: You lie, Helios! Hephaestus told me the flame kills all who touch it.

HELIOS: And you believe him? That freak has fallen from the graces of Olympus!

KRATOS: That is exactly why I believe him.

HELIOS: My death will not lead you to Zeus.

KRATOS: That is where you are wrong.

[Kratos tears off Helios’s head with his bare hands. Killing the god of light, he deprived the whole world of the sun. Lighting his way with the head of Helios, he goes further.]

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: Kratos! It’s getting close.

KRATOS: I told you. I cannot help you.

SPIRIT OF A GIRL: But you’re the only one who can. I know it. I trust you.

KRATOS: You shouldn’t.

THE FLAME OF OLYMPUS

HERMES: Oh. Look who it is. Kratos. The Ghost of Sparta. The fallen god. The cursed mortal.

KRATOS: To catch a fly from the ass of Zeus is not worth my time Hermes.

HERMES: A coward’s words, Kratos. You don’t try to catch me because you know you can’t. Kratos, where are you off to today? Kill any family members lately? Oh. That’s right. You’re off to kill your father, Zeus. Won’t happen can’t happen Kratos is on a fool’s errand. Again! Never, never learn. Never, never change. Kratos, the fool who killed his own blood. Kratos, the fool among mortals and gods. Forever, ever cursed. Forever, ever doomed. Consumed by vengeance to his last breath. The Spartan lights the way to dusty death.

[He runs away. Soon Kratos finds Pandora’s box, standing in flames. He slowly pulls his hand to it.]

KRATOS: Pandora’s box? (spirit of Athena stops his hand) what’s the meaning of this?

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: Our eyes do not deceive you, Kratos. It is the same box you opened years ago. The power to kill a god still rests inside.

KRATOS: I released those powers when I killed Ares.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: No. Trapped inside that box there is a stronger power. It has been missing from the world. It all began when Zeus triumphed over the titans in the great war. Zeus understood that the evils born from that battle, if left free would destroy the world of man and gods. To contain these evils, Zeus commissioned Hephaestus to build a vessel strong enough to hold them. Fear. Greed. He locked them all away in the box in hopes that they would never again infect his reign. When you opened the box to kill Ares. You drew from the forbidden powers. After witnessing your victory, fear gripped Zeus.

KRATOS: But the flame is deadly. How can I recover the box?

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: With its namesake Kratos.

KRATOS: Pandora?

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: She is the key to destroying the flame. The key to our revenge. This will be difficult, Spartan.

KRATOS: A simple child will not trouble me, Athena.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: I hope you are right, Ghost of Sparta.

HERMES: You may have brute force, but you lack speed.

[The pursuit of the god of mischief begins.]

HERMES: You’ve been lucky in battle, Spartan. But your luck ends today. What makes you think you can ever catch me? I’m slipping! I can’t hold on! Isn’t this fun? Keep up, Kratos!

[Finally, Kratos overtakes Hermes.]

HERMES: I thought Spartans fought with honour. And yet you seek to kill me when I have no way to defend myself? Not fair. But you have your own sense of honour. Right, Kratos? And what has that honour brought you? Nothing but nightmares of your failure. Today you may defeat me. But in the end. Kratos. In the end you’ll betray only yourself.

[Hermes’ fiery speech makes no impression on Kratos. He starts to cut.]

HERMES: Leave me alone! Go away!

[Kratos takes the sandals from Hermes… With his legs. As Hermes dies, the world also loses something… Apparently merchants and thieves.]

DRANK WOMAN: Bravo. Bravo. Our hero has arrived. Applause for another bastard child of Zeus. Just in time for the final act.

KRATOS: Hera.

HERA: You look terrible, dear. Still wanting to kill my husband, I suppose?

KRATOS: You know I seek revenge on Zeus.

HERA: Can’t say that I blame you. Since you killed my son, Ares, fear of you consumes him.

KRATOS: His fears will not matter when he is dead.

HERA: I’ll drink to that.

KRATOS: Hera. I seek the child Pandora.

HERA: Pandora? That wretched little thing my son Hephaestus created? Well, we can’t have you do that, my dear. Destroy him.

HERCULES: Hello, brother.

KRATOS: This is not between us, Hercules.

HERCULES: Isn’t it? You were always Zeus’ favourite.

KRATOS: The air on Olympus affects your thinking, brother. Zeus has no favourites.

HERCULES: Think about it brother. While I was stuck cleaning the Augean stables, he chose you to destroy Ares. Not convinced? How about this? While you were being crowned the god of war, I was sent to an apple. They called them labours. Hah! Perhaps he did allow me to kill the Nemean lion, but he made your name known amongst the people. A fierce warrior. A killer made hero. A man made a god. But this time, brother, this time I will destroy you. Call it my thirteenth and final labour. Soon I will become the god of war and claim the throne for myself.

KRATOS: You aspire to be an Olympian, yet their reign is ending, Hercules.

HERCULES: We’ll see about that.

[Hercules jumps onto the balcony and allows the demons from Hades to destroy Kratos.]

HERCULES: Death to Kratos!

HERA: More blood!

[However, Kratos easily destroys the army of Hercules.]

HERCULES: I’ll take care of him myself!

[Fateful battle between the two brothers begins.]

HERCULES: Armour is for weaklings. Kill the bastard’ do you see how he trembles? Finally. A challenge.

[Kratos wins and smashes Hercules’ face with such force that the floor under him cracks. Kratos falls into the sewer.]

KRATOS: Pandora?

PANDORA: Kratos. I knew you’d come back.

KRATOS: Tell me where you are.

PANDORA: I hear something. He’s close.

KRATOS: Just tell me how to find you.

PANDORA: The labyrinth… Find the lab… help! Help! Kratos!

KRATOS: Pandora? Pandora! What’s happened? Where are you?

ZEUS: My son. You trifle with matters you cannot possibly understand. Stay away from this… This… Thing!

KRATOS: Zeus! Zeus!

[Kratos returns to the forge of Hephaestus through the portal.]

HEPHAESTUS: Aphrodite? I knew you would return to me… Kratos? Tell me, has Aphrodite conquered another god of war?

KRATOS: That is a question you should ask your wife. I seek the labyrinth.

HEPHAESTUS: I thought you sought only the flame. What could you possibly want in… No stay away from her! Stay away from Pandora. Kratos’ you are the reason she is in the labyrinth! The reason I live here in hell!

KRATOS: I have done you no wrong, Hephaestus!

HEPHAESTUS: Oh. But you have, Spartan. You opened the box.

KRATOS: I did what had to be done.

HEPHAESTUS: Clearly you don’t understand. The evils of the great war could not easily be contained. I forged the box in a power greater than the gods themselves. The flame of Olympus. As the raw metal took shape, I realised the flame was the safest place to protect it. The lock was set all that was needed was a key. A way to retrieve the box. Created from the very heart of the flame the key took on a life of its own. Pandora. A child. Neither living nor dead. I grew to love her, Spartan. And she grew to love me as her father. When Zeus came to take the box. I hid Pandora away. I told him that storing the box on the back of Cronos would be the safest place. After all, who could best the titan? I lied. I did it to save my child. Surely you can understand that. It was your triumph using the box that revealed my deceit. Zeus tortured me until I confessed the truth of my beloved Pandora he took her away, leaving me alone in my torment. Don’t you understand? If you take her to the flame…

KRATOS: Understand this, smith god. I will stop at nothing to destroy Zeus.

HEPHAESTUS: But if you… You are right, Spartan. If it means the death of Zeus, I’d be happy to help you. Perhaps… Yes. Yes. Of course. We’ll need the Omphalos stone. With it I’ll make you a weapon.

KRATOS: I have weapons.

HEPHAESTUS: Ah… But not like this. This weapon will give you the retribution you so rightly deserve. The stone rests in the pit of Tartarus. Bring it to me, and I will heep you.


TARTARUS

[Kratos plunges into the depths of Tartarus in search of the stone.]

TITAN: The murderer of Gaia enters my tomb?

KRATOS: Cronos!

CRONOS: I know it was you who killed her, Spartan. Who else could? I live in torment because of you. After you took the box from Pandora’s temple, Zeus was consumed with fear. He banished me to the pits of Tartarus.

KRATOS: I was tasked by the gods to kill Ares.

CRONOS: You killed Ares out of your need for vengeance. But this time, retribution finally comes to me, Spartan. Kratos, your death will not be a gentle one. My eyes! Damn mortal! You will suffer when my sight returns. (Kratos pulls out his nail) you little bastard! There you are, Kratos! Your fate is now in my hands! I will make you into a bloody stain. Kratos! Where did you go? By hiding you show your true nature coward! Why do you flee, Kratos? There is no escape. I know that you are here somewhere. Kratos! Where are you? Enough. It is time to end this. Trust me. Eating you will be more unpleasant for me!

[Allowing to eat himself, Kratos finds a stone and cuts Cronos from the inside, getting out.]

CRONOS: You have what you came for! Let me be!

[But Kratos does not even think to stop. He pierces Cronos’ jaw with the fastening of his chain, thanks to which the temple of Pandora hangs on his neck.]

CRONOS: Curse these chains! I should have expected this from a coward such as yourself. A coward who kills his own kin. Kratos! No!

[Kratos pierces Cronos’ forehead with the sword of Olympus and kills him, after which he returns to the forge.]

HEPHAESTUS: Kratos?

KRATOS: You sent me to my death?

HEPHAESTUS: No, no, no. Calm yourself, Kratos. I knew you were up to the challenge. I truly needed Omphalos stone. You’ll see.

KRATOS: Make it quick, old man!

HEPHAESTUS: A weapon such as this can’t be rushed. This will be worth the wait. A fine weapon like no other. As I promised.

[Hephaestus gives Kratos a new weapon and taking advantage of the moment attacks him.]

HEPHAESTUS: Here is your retribution!

[But Kratos deals with the decrepit and exhausted god of blacksmiths with ease.]

HEPHAESTUS: My beautiful Pandora. Please spare her. Pandora… Forgive me…

HERA’S GARDEN

HERA: You! I told him to kill you. I told him the day you were born to kill you. But he would not have it. My stupid husband took pity. And now look what you have wrought! Look at this! Look at it! (she points to withering flowers) they’re dying because of you. Everything is dying because of you. The sun is gone. The oceans swallow the land. Disease infects what remains. I am doing all I can to keep them alive. But you… Your ruthless murdering of the gods has caused all of this! You think this garden is not protected? Your brute strength may have bested Hercules. But your simple mind will never find a way out. I look forward to watching you die here, as an old man.

[However, Hera clearly underestimated Kratos. He solves the riddle of the gardens.]

HERA: You simple… Mortal… How dare you challenge us? You think you can just walk away? We aren’t finished! (he pushes Hera and her tiara breaks) what have you done? What have you done to me? You coward. You destroy all you touch. Good luck with that little whore you call Pandora!

[Kratos loses patience and he breaks Hera’s neck.]

THE LABYRINTH

DAEDALUS: The gift of Hades the liquid fire that is what is first. Next, next, I will take the gift of Boreas the ice storm. That will give me the power to bring my son back to me. My son! My beautiful Icarus? Ah… Good, good. You have the ice storm. The scorpion must be defeated. The ice storm, that is the secret of the labyrinth… To escape it, we must assemble it! Good, you’ve already started. I’ve seen the cubes moving into place now. Once inside, you must use the gift of Boreas; it is the catalyst that drives the labyrinth.

[Kratos comes closer and Daedalus realizes that this is not Icarus.]

DAEDALUS: You’re not… But you… What have you done with my child? My boy! Where is my boy?

KRATOS: Your son is dead, Daedalus.

DAEDALUS: My boy… my child… No. No. No. I took the gift of Hades - the liquid fire. And the ice storm to create the power of the labyrinth. Create the power! The power to create… The power to destroy… The king of the gods has forsaken me. He said that if I built the labyrinth I would see the return of my son! He said… He said that if I took the liquid fire… my boy. Oh my child… Please don’t do it Spartan!

[Kratos solves the labyrinth puzzle and kills Daedalus. Going inside he finds Pandora lying on the floor.]

KRATOS: Pandora? What has he done?

PANDORA: He told me never talk to you again! He told me if I did, he would hurt you the way he hurt my father.

KRATOS: He won’t.

PANDORA: He told me he would kill you.

KRATOS: He can’t. We must leave this place.

PANDORA: Come. I can show you the way. Thank you, Kratos.

KRATOS: Our journey is far from over, Pandora. By its end you will not be thanking me.

PANDORA: I know I look it, but I’m not a child, Kratos. I have seen many terrible things. I’m not afraid. I understand what lies ahead. I saw Zeus torture my father. I saw him beaten because of me. I should’ve helped him but I was afraid.

KRATOS: Hephaestus did what every father should do. Protect his child.

PANDORA: No. It’s all my fault. I failed him because of fear. Fear is it’s own kind of darkness. In that darkness I heard what the gods said about me. They called me a monster.

KRATOS: Words mean nothing.

PANDORA: Perhaps but in their words I heard fear. The fear of an ash-covered warrior. The fear of you. As the fear in the gods rose, mine was replaced by hope.

KRATOS: Hope is for the weak, Pandora.

PANDORA: Hope is what makes us strong. This is why we are here. It is what we fight with when all else is lost.

[Kratos flings open the door and shows Pandora Daedalus’ body hanging on the chains.]

KRATOS: This is what hope delivers, child. You should learn that now.

[They climb to the top of the labyrinth.]

PANDORA: The chain, Kratos. My father once told me it maintains the balance of power within Olympus. Break the chain to raise the labyrinth.

KRATOS: Wait here.

[Kratos descends to the judges and breaks the chains of balance.]

PANDORA: He knows, Kratos! Zeus knows I’ve escaped! Hurry! I can hear him. He’s near please help Kratos! Hurry! Kratos! Help me!

[Kratos quickly returns to the top of the labyrinth.]

KRATOS: Pandora! Pandora? Athena?

PANDORA: It’s alright, Kratos.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: Remember your purpose, Spartan. Remember why you have come so far. Prepare yourself, Spartan. You know what you must do.

KRATOS: I will raise the labyrinth. I will take her where she belongs.

THE FLAME OF OLYMPUS II

[He raises the labyrinth with Pandora on it and opens the way to the box.]

PANDORA: There it is. I can see it, Kratos. In the darkness the fires of hope will set us free.

[Pandora runs to the flame of Olympus. Suddenly even for himself, Kratos stops her.]

KRATOS: Pandora, no!

PANDORA: You know why I’m here! You brought me here to do this!

KRATOS: I will find another way!

PANDORA: No, Kratos! There is no other way! Let me go!

KRATOS: No, child!

PANDORA: I am not a child! You’re hurting me!

[She rushes out of Kratos’ bear grip and runs off, but stumbles upon Zeus. He grabs her by the throat.]

PANDORA: Kratos! Help!

KRATOS: Put her down, Zeus!

ZEUS: Your obsession with this… This… Thing… Has become somewhat of a nuisance, my son.

KRATOS: Release the girl, Zeus!

ZEUS: Don’t confuse this… object… This construction of Hephaestus with your own flesh and blood. But perhaps you already have, Spartan. Your quest for Pandora, your pathetic attempt for atonement from the family you slaughtered has caused nothing but havoc on Olympus. Look around at what you have done!

KRATOS: I see only what I have come to destroy!

ZEUS: Taking pity on you has been my greatest mistake, Kratos. Just as taking pity on this thing will prove to be your greatest mistake.

KRATOS: This has nothing to do with her.

ZEUS: It has everything to do with her.

KRATOS: Put her down!

ZEUS: As you wish.

[He throws Pandora aside and begins the bloody battle that we all have been waiting for.]

ZEUS: Surrender to me. And Pandora will live. That thing has used you! Why do you waste your time!

[While they fight Pandora comes to her senses and runs to the flame of Olympus.]

KRATOS: Pandora! Pandora, no!

ZEUS: Stop her, Kratos! Do not let her into the flame!

PANDORA: This is what I am meant to do! You know that! Please.

ZEUS: Hush.

PANDORA: Kratos, you know this is the only way.

ZEUS: Don’t listen to her, Kratos. For once in your pathetic life, don’t fail. Don’t fail her like you failed your family.

[Kratos screams from the bottom of his heart and throws Pandora into the fire. He runs to attack Zeus with his bare hands.]

KRATOS: Pandora!

[When he regains consciousness, he sees that the flame has disappeared and access to Pandora’s box is granted. He opens it, but it is empty.]

KRATOS: The power to kill a god.

ZEUS: (laughs) Empty? After all you have sought. After all you have sacrificed. It ends in another stunning failure. (laughs) Such chaos… I will have much to do after I kill you.

KRATOS: Face me, Father. It is time to end this.

ZEUS: Yes my son. It is time.

[They fight again, but Gaia suddenly appears.]

GAIA: The reign of Olympus ends now!

KRATOS: Gaia! You live?

GAIA: My world. It bleeds because of you. I never sought your death, Spartan, but you have left me no choice.

ZEUS: Your pawn has failed you, Gaia. Perhaps you should have chosen the other one!

GAIA: Enough. Father and son will die together.

[Gaia breaks the terrace on which Kratos and Zeus stood, and they jump inside her. Kratos wants to break the heart of Gaia with his own hands, but Zeus stands in his way.]

GAIA: Kratos.

ZEUS: I’ll put an end to this chaos. Die! Insolent fool! I will break you!

[Kratos defeats Zeus and pierces him with the sword of Olympus, along with the heart of Gaia. However, the father of Olympus does not even think of dying. His spirit comes out of the body.]

SPIRIT OF ZEUS: I grew weary of you, my son.

[He deprives him of all accumulated artifacts and grabs his throat.]

SPIRIT OF ZEUS: I created you and I will be your end! Let the fear inside, Kratos!

[He kills him and sends him to Max Payne’s world of nightmares.]

SPIRIT OF ZEUS: Nothing but darkness lies ahead Kratos.

[Kratos finds his family.]

CALLIOPE: Mother! What’s happening outside? The people! The fires!

KRATOS’ WIFE: Shhh. Stay close, calliope.

CALLIOPE: Mother, I’m scared. Are they coming to get us?

KRATOS’ WIFE: Your father will protect us.

YOUNG KRATOS: Burn this village! Burn it to the ground!

CALLIOPE: Daddy?

KRATOS’ WIFE: Kratos?

[Kratos kills his family offscreen.]

CALLIOPE: Father, no! No father, no!

KRATOS: My wife. My child… How? They were left in Sparta.

YOUNG KRATOS: Ares!

SPIRIT OF PANDORA: Hurry! I can help, Kratos. Kratos. In the darkness the fires of hope will set us free.

[She burns in a blue flame. Kratos lights the lamp from this flame and goes on.]

KRATOS’ WIFE: You can see the light. It is changing you. It is time to lay your fears to rest. The light reveals the truth. The power of forgiveness comes from within. To be forgiven, you must find the power to forgive yourself.

[She hugs him and burns in the blue flame. Kratos goes further and sees the scene of the murder of Athena.]

ATHENA: No, Kratos! Stop!

YOUNG KRATOS: Athena! No!

ATHENA: Kratos, fear drove Zeus to kill his father, Cronos. The same fear that brought the great war. A fear that drove Zeus to kill you, his own son. Zeus uses fear to keep you in the dark. Confront your demons and lay them to rest.

[She burns in the blue flame.]

SPIRIT OF PANDORA: Over here, Kratos.

[Kratos walks over the edge, looks down and says the legendary phrase from the first game.]

KRATOS: The gods of Olympus have abandoned me. Now there is…

[He jumps into the abyss, but does not die. He enters the ocean full of blood, where the souls of those who he killed cry out to him. He swims this ocean.]

SPIRIT: Kratos!

BARBARIAN: Do you remember that day Spartan?

HEPHAESTUS: I won’t allow you to hurt her.

HERA: Good luck with that little whore you call Pandora!

SISTER OF FATE: You cannot change your destiny, mortal!

SPIRIT: I gave you everything!

SPIRIT: Please don’t do it Spartan!

CRONOS: You have what you came for! Let me be!

SPIRIT: Die, Spartan!

HERMES: Today you may defeat me, but in the end, Kratos, in the end you’ll betray only yourself.

TYPHON: You will pay for that, Kratos!

SPIRIT OF PANDORA: Come. I can show you the way.

SPIRIT: Die, Kratos!

ZEUS: I created you and I will be your end!

SPIRIT OF PANDORA: Hurry!

ZEUS: Why won’t you die! Die! Tremble in fear.

SPIRIT OF PANDORA: Kratos! Over here, Kratos. Hurry, Kratos! Kratos, please. I need you to free me.

ZEUS: Don’t listen to her, Kratos. For once in your pathetic life, don’t fail. Don’t fail her like you failed your family.

SPIRIT OF PANDORA: It’s alright, Kratos. Kratos, you know this is the only way. As the fear in the gods rose, mine was replaced by hope.

[Kratos swims up to Pandora’s box.]

KRATOS: The power to kill a god.

[He opens the box and jumps back through his life to the world of living.]

SPIRIT OF PANDORA: Hope is what makes us strong. This is why we are here. It is what we fight with when all else is lost.

[His hands burn with a blue flame. Now he is ready to fight with Zeus. He beats him with such force and hatred, that turns him into a bloody mess. With the death of the father of Olympus, real chaos begins to reign on earth.]

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: You have done well, Kratos. Freed from the bondage of Olympus and cleansed in chaos. Mankind is now ready to hear my message.

KRATOS: Look around you, Athena. The world stands in ruin. What good is your message?

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: Go if you must, but first I insist you give me the power from inside the box.

KRATOS: The box was empty.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: That can’t be true. I can see it in your eyes. You used my power to kill Zeus. You still have it as we speak. Don’t you understand? When Zeus gathered all the evils and placed them in the box. I dreaded what would happen if it was opened again. And so, I summoned the most powerful weapon in the world and I placed it in the box.

KRATOS: I told you, it was empty. Pandora was sacrificed in vain. She died because of my need for vengeance.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: You must be mistaken. You used my power to kill Zeus. I saw you do it. Unless… Of course. When you opened the box you released the evils to the gods. Infected them. Changed them. Zeus himself fell prey to the dark evils. This is why he became so enraged and obsessed with your death. He was consumed by the evil, fear. I thought the power I placed in the box was never released all these years I assumed you drew from the evils inside to destroy Ares. But I was wrong… the power you took from the box is mine. From it you gained the strength that Zeus could never destroy. A strength great enough to overcome fear. Locked deep inside of you Kratos, is hope. It has remained buried, trapped by your guilt and the failures of your past. When you kill Zeus, you must have allowed something to awaken it. What was it, Kratos?

PANDORA: Hope is what makes us strong. This is why we are here. It is what we fight with when all else is lost.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: What was it, Kratos?

KRATOS: All I remember is what I have lost.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: That is why you should give me the power. I understand its true meaning and where it belongs. Trust you to do the right thing, Kratos.

KRATOS: You shouldn’t.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: (angrily) You owe me this, Kratos.

KRATOS: (threateningly) I owe you nothing!

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: I made you a god. I sheltered you from the wrath of Olympus. I delivered your revenge on Zeus.

KRATOS: It is over, Athena.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: You would dare strike me down, again?

KRATOS: My vengeance ends now.

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: Kratos, no!

[Kratos swings his sword and pierces himself through.]

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: You fool! What have you done?

[The power of hope leaves Kratos and spreads around the world.]

SPIRIT OF ATHENA: No! That was meant for me! They will not know what to do with it! You disappoint me, Spartan.

[She leaves. Kratos slowly dies in a pool of his own blood… But a moment later we see that Kratos’ body has disappeared.]

THE END